Summer is here and zucchini is showing up in Farmers Markets and grocery stores. Zucchini is a wise choice for Organic only, since it is known to be genetically modified and may be chemically treated for pests too. These fritters make a yummy breakfast or a nice side for lunch or dinner. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 medium organic zucchini, shredded (about 5 cups)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Coconut oil or ghee for cooking
- Shred the zucchini using a box grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding blade. Put the shredded zucchini in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and toss well. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Then squeeze all the moisture out of the zucchini to avoid soggy fritters. Note: If you are salt sensitive, you may wat to rinse the zucchini with water, and then squeeze it out. Scoop up a generous handful of the zucchini and squeeze them well over the sink or the bowl. You want them dry. It may also help to press them using paper towels. Place dry zucchini in a different bowl.
- Add the coconut flour, egg and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Melt a large spoonful of ghee or coconut oil in the pan. Pack a ¼ cup metal measuring cup with the zucchini mixture, pressing it down inside the cup. Flip the cup onto the pan to release the contents, and flatten the zucchini into a patty. Repeat to fill the pan and use all the mixture.
- Cook each side for 3 to 5 minutes or until nicely browned. Repeat until you have used up all the zucchini mixture. Be sure to add more ghee or coconut oil to the pan each time you start a new batch.
- Cool on a cooling rack to prevent them from getting soggy
Add garlic powder, lemon pepper or onion powder to the mix.
Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives, parsley, dill or rosemary.